A question I ask all new clients on their design brief is “Who Is Your Target Audience?” The very common answer I get is “I don’t have one” or “Everyone.” I’m going to let you in on a little secret…
To create a successful website you must first define your target audience and THEN build a site for them.
Why? Here’s the thing, your website will not be able to do its job (sell your services) if you are trying to market to everyone.
1. You can’t select a color that “everyone” likes.
2. You can’t write copy in a way that will make everyone happy.
3. Everyone has different personalities, styles, likes, and dislikes.
So, what’s the solution?
My advice to you, if you are trying to please everyone (a.) STOP and (b.) take the time to sit down and decide on an audience you want to work with.
How do you figure out who your target audience is?
- If you haven’t worked with many clients yet think about someone you know that you would love to work with.
- If you have experience working with clients select someone you enjoyed working with.
After you have your ideal person in mind think about things like
- What appeals to them style wise?
- What information or questions would they ask you before hiring you?
- If you plan to blog, what information will they find helpful?
If you don’t know anyone that you can use as a “profile” for your ideal client/customer then make them up! Create a persona of your ideal customer.
Are they male or female?
What are their interests and hobbies?
Where do they work?
What is their income?
Give them a name…
You may have to tweak this “persona” as you go. You may find, who you thought would be awesome to work with isn’t, but at least you have a starting point.
Now that you have a complete profile of your ideal client, you can build a website for them. One that will attract and hopefully increase your sales. Which, is going to make all those design decisions that must be made, easier.
Don’t forget this isn’t permanent. You can always change who your ideal client is. The goal is to start somewhere and tweak as you go until you have an ideal persona.
PS: I’m now booking custom designs for 2018 and I would love for us to work together! If you are ready for a custom brand identity, logo or website let’s get started click here to schedule a free 15-minute consultation call.